Doing business in Bentley
Business owners/operators licensing and requirements can be found under the Business Licensing By-Law 07/95.
Businesses within the Town of Bentley require an annual Business License, with the exception of businesses operated from a property that is registered in the operators name, located in the corporate town limits and property taxes are based on a commercial or industrial assessment.
Applications for Business License and Development Permits may be found on the website or obtained at the Town office.
“Business“ includes business, trade, profession, industry, occupation, employment or calling and the providing of goods and services.
Businesses requiring a Business License are:
- General contractors (building, repair, handyman, plumbing, electrical, painting etc.)
- Resident Business License (sales, specialty stores, restaurants, taverns, etc.)
- Non-Resident Business License (all of the above)
- Home Occupations (hair salons & spas, contactors, home party sales, photographers, firewood sales, health & fitness, etc.)
- Hawker, Peddler, door to door sales (alarm system sales, power and gas energy contract sales etc.) • RV and Vehicle Sales
- Other Sales based businesses
Because all home based businesses or occupations are subject to the requirements set out in the Land Use By-Law, application for a Development Permit for all Home Occupations is required prior to applying for a Business License. Once the Development Permit has been approved, then the Business License may be approved.
For more information and a complete copy of By-Law 07/95, please go to Bylaws or stop into the office and a copy will be printed.